Saturday, September 15, 2012

Bear Jaw Groove Race Review

Last Saturday 9/08/12 I rode in the first annual "12 Hours of Bear Jaw Groove" here is my take on the race.  I decided to scrap my ten page historical account of the event.  Instead, I will try to sum it up in fits and starts.  Here it goes:

Free post race beer should be a 50 mile or greater race requirement. At least one.

Anything above 8,000 feet in an Aspen forest rocks.

Surprise! There is a "surprise parking fee high school fundraiser" at 6am in the morning.

"Um, I'm racing not spectating?" Still a fee. "Um, the course is 20 miles from town, a little notice...that's not really cool man."

Good course, short course.

No "Crested Butte Crusher" climbs. Laps 1-3 bummer.  Laps 4-12 thank you course planners.

GPS (Gut Perceptual Sense) logged the main climb at about 2.5 miles long.

GPS logged the ripping descent at about the rest of the course in length.

Short course was a mental menace. Hamster wheel. Hamsters seem to like them.

Not cheap, but not expensive. My shirt fit.

Cool people, cool atmosphere, cool weather. Cool.

Lap 7 "Welcome to the DARK SIDE"

What does 60 miles feel like? 80? What does DNF taste like?

2 laps left, no cramps, time to crack the savings account and throw down.

To my legs, "You guys are really going to let me throw down after all of this?"

Their response, "Yes, please do!"

No free beer.  Nobody told me until the end. Stolen carrot.

I don't even carry gears, why the hell would I carry cash?

Next year? Maybe. Good Times.




No comments:

Post a Comment