Thursday, July 26, 2012

New Leaf, Same Luck

I decided to start keeping my bikes clean.  I've always kept my drivetrain clean, but I usually leave a nice medley of dust, dried mud, chunks of dried sand, blood, sweat and bugs on the non-moving parts.  I liked to think of it as a moving collage.  When it got overly crowded, I would reluctantly wash the bike.  When I did wash it though, I did it the hard way. I usually employed an old yogurt or peanut jar, a toothbrush, rag, and some WD-40.  I think the reason for this was it allowed me to relive the memories of rides past one speck of mud, or blood at a time. 


I distinctly remember washing my Redline for the first time after about 6 months living in Colorado Springs.  Off the bottom bracket shell fell the last pieces of Flagstaff mud.  That was also about the time I realized how awesome the riding in the Springs was.  In the four years I lived in the Springs, I probably washed my bikes ten times.


There is nothing wrong with nostalgia, but change can also be good too.  I live in a new city, ride new dirt and pavement, and have a new job (which is looking for a new job).  So now I wash my bikes regularly. I feel like a clean bike gives me a clean slate every time.


Apparently, the clean slate does not apply to my luck as a mechanic.  I have a severely seized steerer tube on my road bike.  I've lubed, whacked, twisted, lubed some more, and whacked again. I've tapped, spun and sprayed it.  No dice.  The headset spins fine.  This was just supposed to be preventative maintenance, but instead it prevented me from doing maintenance.   I think the spacers are seized to the steerer tube.What's odd is only the top one is aluminum, the remaining ones are composite.  Could they be the culprit? Should I get a sledgehammer and a block of wood?  I would like a new frame and a sledgehammer would probably get me there.  I know,  I should go into a local shop and be like, 


 "Its a good thing you didn't hire me, I can't even service a headset.  
Please take my money magic men and perform some magic on my bike!"


Maybe I'll be like Elaine when she got blacklisted by all the doctors in New York.  Nice.  Off to see a Veterinarian I guess.  I wonder if the Vet will let me work off my debt?  Oh well, at least the bike is clean right?
            

No comments:

Post a Comment