Monday, June 25, 2012

The Dilemma (Not the stupid, poorly acted movie)

Road or mountain? I couldn't decide.  I went to bed on the fence, I woke up on the fence. Finally it hit me.  Do the "AD Special". I have this stupid fast buddy in the Springs who occasionally does hammer rides on his mountain bike (his only bike) that include dirt and road. This is an AD Special.

So I left my house and began the climb to get to the trail head.  I had about two hours and the plan was to do a mini-climbfest including a couple of road climbs.  It turned out to be a great ride, but what made it worth noting was the little bonus I got during one of the climbs.  I never thought it would happen, but I "fat tired" a guy on a road bike.  I had heard of this sort of thing before.  In fact, in the Springs, it would be called getting "Duked". I just couldn't believe I actually did it. It was very casual.  I didn't kill it to catch him. I just rolled past, waived, and kept rolling thinking to myself, "This dude has skinnies, and gears. Surely I will fall apart in a mile and he will redeem himself by blowing past me with a big Campy shift and solid effort out of the saddle. I mean, the guy is a roadie." but it never happened.  I got to the top, ate a snack, talked to some strangers and after a few minutes, he rolled up.  I wonder what he was thinking.  If I were him, here's what might have gone through my head:

1) Dopers suck.
2) He must be running a really easy gear.  Its probably like a 30-30.
3) Dopers suck.
4) I'm doing a rest day ride and this jerk probably thinks he's Lance Armstrong now.
5) If this climb were 20 miles instead of 2, I would have caught him eventually (this one is true).
6) Dopers suck.

Good Times

1 comment:

  1. I don't understand half of what you're saying but I will now follow you diligently.

    ReplyDelete